Today kicks off Week 13 of my pregnancy, which for some reason or another is considered the end of the first trimester instead of Week 12. Who am I to argue with the experts?! Anyway, big changes are happening in utero: according to What to Expect, Nugget is about the size of a peach (a third of the CRL--crown to rump length--is head, making it more proportional than before), is making jerky movements with his/her arms and legs which are still growing bones, and may be able to get his/her thumb into the mouth! Mommy was a thumb-sucker, baby might be too. :) And vocal chords are forming and will be warming up to give those healthy little cries! The intestines, which have been outside Nugget's body in the umbilical cord, have made the journey into their rightful place inside the tummy; his/her urinary tract is now functioning to get rid of the amniotic fluid he/she's been swallowing; and he/she now has little fingerprints!!!!!! :)
It's crazy to think of how much they change even now. By the time we see little Nugget again in August, he/she will look completely different from the first time. There will be an actual baby there instead of a dangler! I no longer have to take the progesterone, which---if you remember from previous posts---had to be shoved up no-man's land twice per day! I would've gladly taken it until birth if I had to, but part of me is glad to not have to get up an hour early or worry about whether I did it or not.
As for how I'm feeling the past week: at first, I thought Nugget didn't care for fried fish, but the next time I (cautiously) ate it---it was at my in-laws, so I didn't want to fuss---I was fine. The next time anything bothered me was spicy and the time after that, it was something completely normal. For a few days this past week, it didn't seem to matter what or when I ate at night, I would end up with indigestion right before bedtime. Tums don't help a lot, but it can't hurt and they have extra calcium, so I take them before bed just in case. And yesterday I had some cramping throughout the day. Minor during the day and more intense at night; they weren't gas cramps so I assume uterine expansion must be the cause. Or maybe Nugget is living up to the ninja in him/her...who's to say? It wasn't painful but just little sharp pulses. [shrug]
We're going camping this coming weekend. I love camping! Something about sleeping in a tent (on an air mattress, of course), sitting around the fire, and just listening to the sounds of complete quiet. You do virtually nothing but eat, sit, and maybe explore, but it feels good. A nap usually creeps in somewhere. One thing I insist upon is flush toilets now; since a lot of campgrounds are installing them, it's easier to find a place that has them. And I figured that pit toilets, which can be downright gross without being pregnant, just aren't a good idea right now! Showers aren't a must, but are a plus...and our camp has them. Shouldn't be too many people there, even for the holiday, because it's a pretty small campground. I'm pretty sure the highlight of our weekend away, though, will be a trip to the Norske Nook---a virtual pie PALACE!! Every type of pie imaginable and all made from scratch on a daily basis by little old ladies in dorky-looking Norwegian-y outfits! We've never been there, but we've been wanting to go for over a year and it's about 30 minutes from where we'll be. :) I'm going to be in heaven...but I have a feeling I won't be able to decide. Or pick just one. I'm hoping they're open this weekend, being a holiday. Must check hours!
Fetal Doppler keeping me sane
12 years ago






0 comments:
Post a Comment