No really, I am! I'm convinced that because I finally called my nurse yesterday to tell her about not getting my period yet and about the metallic taste issue that I woke up with cramps and the "red wipe". Things just happen that way for me. If I break down and take a pregnancy test, I usually end up getting my period the next day. That's how my life works. So naturally, this happened too. I called her this morning to tell her that I was not bugging her again, but reporting today as cycle day 1 (CD1). She asked me (before I had a chance to bring it up) if I wanted to do anything differently this time; so I asked her what can be done. I shared with her that I find it incredibly frustrating to not know which part of the whole process isn't working. Is it the sperm? Is it me? Are the eggs even getting fertilized and if so, is my body rejecting them? So many things we can't possibly know when we do IUI. She told me that I could discontinue the Clomid and start on something called Femara, which is actually a breast cancer drug, and that although it doesn't seem to work as well as Clomid in some cases, it can still do what we need it to. A touch pricier---and by touch, I mean $80---but if it doesn't cause my lining to thin and I don't end up having to pay for another prescription of progesterone to thicken it, I'll actually be saving money because if anybody remembers, I had a small heart attack the first time I picked it up due to the price being a few numbers longer than I'd like. I will take it on the same days I would the Clomid (CD3-7) and will see how it's working on Valentine's Day when I have my ultrasound.
Sidenote: When I picked up my prescription for the Femara tonight, I (of course) required a consult because I've never taken it before. I was asked if I was pregnant or was planning on it any time soon and I said, "Planning on it...that's what this is for," which prompted looks that can only be described as disbelief mingled with something else that made me question whether I was, in fact, either speaking English or perhaps had a serial killer behind me with a chainsaw. Could've gone either way. The pharmacist, once recovered from his obvious shock, proceeded to warn me all about the possible birth defects that can occur while taking this medication. I just smiled and nodded politely and ended up saying something like, "Well, I only take it for 5 days and my doctor says it will be out of my system by the time I could get pregnant." Then he double-checked how many were dispensed and sure enough, only 5!! I know you're only doing your job but do you really think my doctor would prescribe it to me to HELP me get pregnant if he was worried about me having a circus baby?? Yeah, no! Just take my 90-something dollars and let me outta here!
Fetal Doppler keeping me sane
12 years ago






6 comments:
Steph - sorry about the BFN. I wouldn't worry about the Femara, I took it this month (likely a BFN too) but I wasn't nearly as cranky as I was on clomid plus no lining issues.
Go to this website:
http://www.femara.com/index.jsp
and enroll in their discount program. Another ttc friend pointed it out to me. I just mailed in the paperwork to get reimbursed for our first month.
oh my freakin goodness, you're hilarious! I'm surprised the pharmacist didn't realize it could be used for that, there are MANY RE's that are doing that as a first step instead of clomid now because people react so much better to it.
Your insurance didn't cover the femara? Even my shitty insurance did because it's not technically for infertility.
Nope. Not a penny. Just the "W Card" from Walgreens, which saved me a whopping $20! At full price, it comes to $23/pill!!
And mama, thanks so much for the info! Will definitely check it out!
Thanks for stopping by my blog!
I took Femara for 2 cycles and my RE said he has had so much success with it, he never uses Clomid anymore! Unfortunately it didn't work for me and I had to move to injectables but that's a different story haha.
I hope this cycle is a success for you!!
Hey, thanks for stopping by mine too!! I'm hoping this works...the Clomid worked for me in the sense that it produced an uber amount of follies, but thinned my lining so bad that I can't help but wonder if that's why I haven't had any success. But who knows and time will tell! Wishing you the best of luck with everything!
Post a Comment